1 a tie in tennis or table tennis that requires winning two successive points to win the game
2 the cardinal number that is the sum of one and one or a numeral representing this number [syn: two, 2, II]
3 a word used in exclamations of confusion; "what the devil"; "the deuce with it"; "the dickens you say" [syn: devil, dickens]
4 one of the four playing cards in a deck that have two spots
- (US) /duːs/, (US) SAMPA:/dus/
- Rhymes: -uːs
- A card with two spots, one of four in a standard deck of playing cards.
- In the context of "dice}} A side of a dice with two spots.
Deuce, derived from Latin, refers to the number two.
Deuce may also refer to:
Sports and games
- A playing card with the number two; in most games the lowest-ranked card
- Deuce-to-seven low, a method for evaluating low hands in poker
- In tennis scoring, when 2 players both have a score of 40. Two consecutive points would need to be scored to win the game.
- ESPN 2, a sports television network nicknamed "the deuce"
- In baseball, a curveball is often referred to as "a deuce"
- A card game like Euchre and Spades also referred to as Deuce (card game).
- 'What the Deuce!?' is a phrase used frequently by the character 'Stewie' in the Fox8 cartoon 'Family Guy'.
- Deuces, A fictional gang in the 1992 movie South Central. Named after the fact that the gang grew quickly and multiplied.
- Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo, a 1999 comedy film starring Rob Schneider
- Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo the 2005 sequel to the 1999 film.
- Deuces Wild, a 2002 film starring Johnny Knoxville
- Deuce (play), a play by Terence McNally
- Fire Deuce, side-project band of Travis Stever
- Deuce (band), a UK pop band from the mid '90s
- Deuce (Beautiful Creatures album), an album by glam-metal band Beautiful Creatures
- Deuce (The D.O.C. album), an album by rapper The D.O.C.
- Deuce (Korn DVD), a music DVD released by Korn
- Deuce (Rory Gallagher album), a 1971 album by Rory Gallagher
- "Deuce" (song), a song on Kiss' debut, self-titled album
- "The Deuce" WUWM Milwaukee Public Radio's second program service.
- English Electric DEUCE (Digital Electronic Universal Computing Engine), a British commercial computer built by English Electric in the 1950s
- The Deuce, double-decker buses serving the Las Vegas Strip
- "Deuce coupe", a slang term for the 1932 Ford Model B car
- The 'common name' for the Harley-Davidson FXSTD/FXSTDI model motorcycle (Softail Deuce)
- Deuce (character), a character from the webcomic Jerkcity
- Ann Arbor, Michigan, nicknamed "The Deuce" or "Ace Deuce"
- A slang term for feces, related to the euphemism "Number 2"
- A name for the devil, usually used as a mild oath, for example, "What the deuce is going on here?" and "What the Deuce?" (for instance, used by Mr. Rochester in Jane Eyre).
- "Deuce", used to denote the two-finger peace sign used as a valediction
- "Deuce," California Criminal Law: Common usage for a Driving Under the Influence case or suspect. Cal. Vehicle Code sec. 23152.
- Polish musician Piotrek Połoz under the artist name of Deuce
- Dirty Deuce, Bexar Bulverde Vol. Fire Department "Temporary" station 2.
deuce in German: Daus
deuce in Low German: Duus
deuce in French: Deuce
ace, best bower, bower, cards, clubs, craps, deck, diamonds, doubleton, dummy, face cards, flush, full house, hand, hearts, jack, joker, king, knave, left bower, pack, pair, picture cards, playing cards, queen, round, royal flush, rubber, ruff, singleton, snake eyes, spades, straight, trey, trick, trump